Duplicate trees in root files written by FileWriter

Hello,

I am currently writing a module to merge together the data of two pixel telescopes only using the readout timestamp added in the computer while receiving the data from the detectors.

For this I am using the FileWriter and and a custom FileReader implementation to merge two events with matching timestamps. But when I save events and pixels onto disk using the FileWriter module I see duplicate trees in the root files produced, see an example file here.
The duplicates only arise for higher event numbers, when i stop the corry run intermediate only one tree per type exists.

Is this behavior already known and intended?

Thank you for your help,
Bent

Hi @bbuttwil

this is curious, would you have a sample config and the inputs for me to try to reproduce this?

Cheers,
Simon

Hi @simonspa

thank you for investigating my problem.

Here I uploaded a compressed tarball [link] with a sample data file as well as config and geometry file.
In our setup we took data with 6 Alpides, of which I only included 3 in the geo.

When i run this config file as it is it produces the file “contains_duped_tree.root” with the duplicated trees that contain Pixel and Event data. I did some modifications to the corry code to add my module but it shouldn’t have changed anything in how the FileWriter behaves. But just as a sanity check i have also executed the config with the latest version on the master branch [commit: 87c7980349e4ce1de972750e3ca833911cb60923] still the same behavior of seeing duplicate trees.

Cheers,
Bent